Python in Simulator?

My students are programming their Tello drones in Python (and are very successful using the video lessons!)

Is there a way to import their code into the Simulator so they can test the code there, before we deploy to the actual Tello drones? This would allow for additional situations, as well as for them to test at home.

I thought I read that it was in development, but can’t find that today (and don’t see it in the simulator itself).

Thanks!

-David

Hi David,

We don’t have anything yet, but it’s certainly on the product roadmap. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It’s great to hear feedback like this.

Take care,
Dennis

David, take a look at this when you get a chance:

It’s rough around the edges as it’s an early beta of Python with our Tello simulator. If you have any problems please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for this.

I had some of my advanced students try it on a Pi this morning, and they were partially successful, but the simulator locked up at 90%.

We had no luck on a Chromebook, but did try (I think the students commented that it was a Browser Console issue but I was in the middle of teaching a different class at the same time)

I tried on my Windows laptop but the Browser Console is locked by district policy.

I’ll try to find time in the next couple of days to try it on my home computer.

-David

Regarding the drone simulator and Raspberry PI were you actually running the simulator in the Pi browser?

We need to do a better job of providing the key without having to go into the console. Let us work on this so you can test on your school ChromeBooks and Windows PCs.

Yes. We’re running in the Chromium (I think) browser on the Pi 3 and Pi 4 (8GB) computers (1 of each).

Thanks for continuing work on the key; I was unable to test last night (my wife had a project to finish, and it’s her workstation).

-David

The simulator key is now at the top of the window. We’ll improve this later. You just need to copy it and put it in your Python drone code:

https://db-simulator-dev.web.app/