Software Shows "Not Connected" but Tello Still Launches

We are using a new set of Tello drones for a middle school computer science class. All Tellos are activated, and firmware updated. We are using Windows 11 Education laptops.

We’ve noticed that, both in DroneBlocks and DroneBlocks Code, after connecting the laptop to the Tello Wi-Fi, both software programs show that the drone is not connected (in DroneBlocks, the Wi-Fi icon is red, in DroneBlocks Code, it says “Not Connected”). Despite this, we are able to Launch the mission and fly the Tello. So it seems that the Tello is indeed connected despite the software showing that it is not.

I’d like to figure out how to have the software program accurately display whether or not the drone is connected, for safety purposes so there are no surprises.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

1 Like

If you open the menu in the top right of the DroneBlocks app can you tell me what version you’re running? This will help us better troubleshoot. Thanks.

@dbaldwin For DroneBlocks it’s 1.0.5 (& we are having a similar issue with DroneBlocks Code)

@dbaldwin Just wanted to check and see if there’s an update on this. We have class tomorrow and my students really want to fly the drones, but we don’t feel like we can safely do so until this issue is resolved. Thank you!

1 Like

Really sorry for the delay. I have been busy reviewing a new course that we’re launching for databot. That being said, what I think you’re up against is a firewall issue. If you can send data to Tello (takeoff) but are not seeing any video/telemetry this means that the receiving port is blocked. This may require administrative privileges on the machine. Can you review this and give it a try with one of the computers please?

Let us know if you continue to have issues. Once again, sorry for the delay.

For ipads–> I finally realized the tello app had access but not the droneblocks app.
Step 1. Make sure Local Network Access is enabled

1. On your iOS device’s home screen (iOS 14 or later), tap Settings.
  2. Tap Privacy [and then|Local Network**. You’ll find a list of apps.
  3. Turn on Local Network Access for the app(s) you would like to allow access to your network. This will allow permissions for your device to discover Cast-enabled devices.

@chambers.l thanks for sharing this bit of info. I’m curious if you weren’t prompted on the initial use of DroneBlocks to allow local network access? Or maybe it was a scenario where you may have missed it and had to come back later to allow access?